Monday, July 30, 2012

Olympic Advertising


It only happens every 4 years...and with the excitement, heartbreak, feats of athleticism, and national heroes the Olympics brings, there is one part that can sometimes be overlooked- the ads.

Not to worry though, a Forbes magazine article made sure to give the Olympic advertisements their fair exposure.  They even cleverly ranked them with medals just like the Olympic sports they so brilliantly support.



They highlight the Proctor & Gamble ad for mothers as the "gold medal" Olympic advertisement, and I have to agree.  I know I've heard of the company before, but I could not definitively tell you what they do.  This ad grabbed my attention by tugging at the heartstrings.  I'm not a mom, but it made me feel proud of my country and the athletes that are representing the USA.

P&G supported their TV commercial with a social media campaign on Facebook starring Beijing Olympian Shawn Johnson as their spokesperson.  The site has numerous videos highlighting the mothers of star Olympians including Ryan Lochte, Gabby Douglas, and Jordyn Weiber. This emotional connection is sure to draw in fans wanting to know more about the athletes and their lives outside of the Olympics.  It already worked for over 700,000 people!

I still cannot remember all the companies that fall under P&G as they quickly flashed across the screen, but I will remember the ad and that is sure to build brand support.

No comments:

Post a Comment